NHS Lothian to roll out MMR

Originally produced for Napier News.

In light of the measles epidemic in Wales and the threat of imminent spread to the rest of Britain, NHS Lothian has highlighted the importance of MMR vaccinations.

The health board has admitted that a significant number of Lothian’s teenagers and young adults are considered at risk from measles as they may not have completed or started the course of the MMR vaccine as a child. NHS Lothian is now offering the vaccine to teenagers in schools and through their GPs.

Professor Alison McCallum, the Director of Public Health and Health Policy at NHS Lothian, said:

“Measles, Mumps, and Rubella are preventable by two doses of the MMR vaccine and I would urge all parents to ensure that their children are fully protected from these three diseases. We are now offering the MMR vaccination as part of the school immunisation programme and hope more of our young people will take up the opportunity to protect themselves.”

FULL MMR 22 from Tom Freeman on Vimeo.

MMR As-live from Tom Freeman on Vimeo.

Advertisements

Miners Convictions Campaign

originally produced for Edinburgh Napier News

Holyrood rejects calls for Miner’s strike Policing inquiry

Campaigners today vowed to fight on after their calls for a Hillborough-style inquiry into the policing of the 1984 and 85 miners strike was rejected by the Scottish Government.

Ministers were also told they had a “moral duty” to review the convictions of nearly 500 Scottish miners, but community safety minister Roseanna Cunningham insisted that she did not have powers to quash convictions.

The highly charged member’s debate was spearheaded by Lothians MSP Neil Findlay (Labour), who remains determined that the campaign will carry on.

Miners.02 from Tom Freeman on Vimeo.

A BBC documentary into events at the Orgreave coking plant in Yorkshire during strike last year prompted South Yorkshire Police to refer itself to the Police Complaints Commissioner for England. Now Findlay has called for the Scottish Government to launch a similar inquiry in police practice north of the border.

“Disappointed that the minister did not agree to have a review, but the campaign goes on.” He said.

Continue reading

After Blue Monday…

Weekly games column, first published at Sick Kids Save Point on 22/01/13

Gaming Tuesday.
It’s a packed day for Scottish Games!

Edinburgh based Pixels on Toast have today released Food Run on iOS devices. It’s a one-button platformer, so perfect for iphone play. Bounce your wee line of fruit through 40 levels of fruity mischief. Continue reading

Zombie Walk 2012

Originally used as a Radio package assessment 3/11/12

P1010164

City Centre Shoppers in Edinburgh this afternoon were greeted by a shambling group of fundraisers dressed as the undead.

The Zombie Walk event was to raise money for the Sick Kids Friends Foundation charity.

Participants walked from The Mound along Princes Street and finished outside The Scottish Parliament at about 4 o’clock.

Holyrood Plays The Game

Originally published by Buzz Magazine on 30/3/12


According to the Independent Game Developers’ Association, the video games industry “has grown up largely unloved and ignored by the political and economic powers in our country.” That looks to be changing as a cross-party Scottish Parliament group on the video games industry held its first meeting this month.

Brian Baglow, who runs scottishgames.net, was at the “packed” meeting. Buzz caught up with the PR and digital media Freelancer recently to pick his brain about the state of the Scottish Games Industry.  He was surprisingly optimistic, and citedDenki Games as a perfect example of how Scottish talent has kept ahead of the curve.  Denki’s BAFTA winning Quarrel (pictured) was released on iPhone and iPad last year, and on Xbox live in January. Continue reading

City Officials Under Fire

Originally published by Edinburgh Reporter on November 11th 2011

Senior Edinburgh city officials came under fire yesterday from all sides, as plans to outsource Edinburgh’s environmental services to private firm Enterprise appeared to be scuppered by the SNP group, a coalition partner.

At a heated public debate last night organised by the Council, Mark Turley, Director of Services for Communities recommended that the privatisation model go ahead as part of his “statutory obligation to get the best value for the city.”  According to Turley the move would save the city £72 million compared with £45 million of saving under the in-house model.  Many of the Edinburgh residents who were present disputed this.  A 90 year-old man shouted:- “Who can we trust?” and officials were even faced with questions over their own motives. Continue reading